Monday, February 10, 2014

What does it mean, "Je prie trop!" ?

A week ago we heard a lot of hammering and yelling and loud music! Then we saw the paint going on the walls and then the lettering. Our guards said it was a bar, then they heard it was a restaurant, but all we heard was yelling and fighting and drunks walking down our street. Our street used to be nice, a pleasant street with goats running outside our gate. We were the only house with a gate on our road, until about a month ago and the construction started across the street from us. Now there is a hole in a wall (not ours but theirs!) and the walls are going up. Soon we will have a neighbor with a gate. But between the hammering and construction work across the way from us and the bar construction right next door to us, our street is no longer the nice quiet little street!

The Exoti'c opened last Wed. Because of the problems we had already encountered--loud music at all hours of the day and night and a fight that broke out over a girl even before they opened we decided we needed to do more to make sure we were a bit more secure! We have never had to worry about our neighbors before. Now that there is a bar going in next door we decided we should be concerned about it we we have taken some precautionary measures!

Wednesday night, Thursday night and Friday night the music was loud and went on and on and on! 1 a.m., 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. Boom, boom, boom and then some kind of weird electronic African music! Saturday night we came home about 9:30 p.m. and the music was reverberating in our living room! Boom! boom! I decided enough was enough! With Milton backing me up I walked over to the bar and asked to see the "responsable". Just remember I do not like confrontations and in French it never quite comes off as it should. How do you confront without being threatening? The Madame came out of the interior --the music was so loud you had to yell to be heard. So she telecommanded the music to lower the volume. I explained that we were neighbors and would they please lower their volume b/c we could hear the music in our living room even in our bedroom! As I looked around I saw that they had only one or two customers and they were not eating anything just drinking! I tried to explain that this is a residential area and that neighbors had been talking and were not happy with the volume of the music so high. I explained that there is no need for the music to be so loud at 1 a.m. and certainly not at 3 a.m. She told me in no uncertain terms that she had her power--the power of her authorization from the Ministry of Interior and she is authorized to have an orchestra. I started laughing, "an orchestra? Really? That is an orchestra?' I told her that it would be in her best interest to lower the volume. I explained that several neighbors were complaining about the loud music. I simply stated that if it did continue that there would be problems in the neighborhood. Please turn down the music! I told her that the people at the mosque were upset b/c of the volume of the music as well. She inserted, "And I pray too much." Really? Is it possible to pray too much? Maybe it is when you aren't certain of what you are praying for or that there is a God who even hears you. I simply stated to her as I took her hand, "Madame I also pray for you!" Thank you for turning your music down! And the music stayed down.
I really did try to be as non-threatening as I knew how in the French that I have! But sometimes I come across worse than I mean to! But just taking her hand and telling her I prayed for her seemed to calm the waters!

When we came back to our gate our guard and gardener met us and they were laughing so hard,"Linda, I saw you over there talking to that woman. I saw you. I climbed up the ladder and watched you talk to her." I climbed up on the bench and watched! I saw you too!" Then they both burst into laughter. They too are concerned that the bar will draw undesirables and our guard has been able to stay awake at night!

Today the bar was quiet. This evening there were four cars in front but still the music was down low! Now to get a peaceful sleep. I sure wish I could learn to confront in a nice gentle way. But this was better than I thought it would be. Prayer does change things!

No comments: